I keep forgetting to brush my teeth mindfully. But it's not like I'm having all these other thoughts bubble up. I'm not thinking of anything, then I forget that I'm supposed to be really paying attention to brushing my teeth. If anything, I'm trying to focus on not brushing as hard. Some people are blessed with a receeding hair line. I'm blessed with a receeding gum line. So please Karina, for the love of mindfulness and your mouth, please pay attention when brushing your teeth.

The Fifth Mindfulness Training

Aware of the suffering caused by unmindful consumption, I vow to cultivate good health, both physical and mental, for myself, my family, and my society by practicing mindful eating, drinking, and consuming. I vow to ingest only items that preserve peace, well-being, and joy in my body, in my consciousness, and in the collective consciousness of my family and society. I am determined not to use alcohol, or any intoxicant or to ingest foods or other items that contain toxins, such as certain TV programs, magazines, books, films, and conversations. I am aware that to damage my body of my consciousness with these poisons is to betray my ancestors, my parents, my society, and future generations. I will work to transform violence, fear, anger, and confusion in myself and in society by self-transformation and for the transformation of society.

I kept chuckling to myself as I read this. I betray my ancestors when damaging the body of my consciousness with these poisons... I'm half German and half Italian. We drink as soon as we're old enough to breathe ;)

Jokes aside, I can see how one could betray their ancestors though with intoxicants, especially when one lets the intoxicant be in control of them (alcoholism or substance abuse disorders) which basically can lead to perpetuating an already vicious cycle of pain (which I've seen first hand when I worked for Children's Aid and Toronto Council Fire).

I remember during my original teacher training Frank said the trainings don't tell us what not to consume... however it states pretty explicitly what we shouldn't! I feel like this is the most forward of the teachings, and because it is so forward, we feel resistance to it when we first read it! Giving up alcohol and other drugs forever and ever? Are you serious! Oh no! And mental formations abound. I don't think these teachings ask us to specifically give these up forever, but I think what it is trying to do is allow us to be more mindful with our consumption.

Being asked to give up something brings me back to my mom dragging my ass to Church for Lent and having to give up something. I'm less resistant to giving up things now that I was as a child, that's for sure. I see this as something that can strengthen my practice, and am also looking at it as a bit of an autumn cleanse, to get me all nice and glowing before my birthday in October.

I'm actually going to push myself past the month mark and am asking myself to give up alcohol and sugar. Alcohol should be relatively easy, but sugar and soda I have grown somewhat addicted to since I quit smoking and developed addiction transference. Considering my mom got adult onset diabetes, sugar is probably the best thing I can give up once in awhile. And considering how I've been drowning my sorrows in food and booze lately, it probably wouldn't hurt to let myself off of these for a bit. Back to being fully present, and able to deal and cope with the shit life decides to throw at me.

Sticking with mindful consumption... I'm seriously going to stop feeding into gossip, or saying mean things about people. I generally don't do this to begin with, but lately I've noticed myself develop really hostile feelings towards a few of my ex boyfriends. No apparent reason besides my heart feels black and I feel lonely. I'm going to work on not being bitter.

This will all end on October 19th so I can be all present and well rested and shiney and happy for my birth-week. haha.