Tell me a bit about your overall feelings and experience of this training and of the practice of mindfulness.
I'm going to save my feelings for question 12 as I feel that part ties in more with what's asked in the next question.
While I don't really have much to say on the day to day experience of micro practices and sitting and bells of mindfulness (as I've said it already in a previous question) but I think that I am really starting to like the person I've become and will continue to become as a result of this training. In my day to day life there isn't much of a change, but in my overall life, I do think this training has helped me overcome a lot of obstacles.
For example, it has revolutionized how I am as a social worker and social work practitioner. I am such a different worker now that I was last year. I'm not sure if its because I got into the area of the field I wanted to be in (mental health) as opposed to being in the area I was before (child welfare/protection) but I can so much better handle the daily stressors of my job, the nature of my job, and my clients. I find myself to be more patient, more compassion and empathic to the needs of my clients AND myself (my self-care has skyrocketed. That's a friggen first). I also find that because I do take the time to slow down and observe that my thinking is clearer. I have the ability to quickly diffuse potentially stressful and dangerous situations. In dealing with clients, advice and counseling phrases have come out of my mouth that I didn't even remember I learned! I've also found myself to be more resilient. December was a difficult time for our team, as we were dealing with a severe staff shortage, the death of a coworker, Christmas preparations and then the death of a client. Looking back, I'm not sure how I got through all of that, plus the death of a friend, an extremely busy concert and rehearsal schedule, and teaching, but I did. I knew going into the month I'd have to be absolutely present, and for the most part, I think I did a good job.
I try not to pat myself on the back too much cuz I realize next month it could be even worse and I could lose my shit, but I do think this training has taught me the importance of being absolutely present in every moment of the day.
0 comments:
Post a Comment