I'm currently reading an amazing book right now, by Don Campbell, called The Mozart Effect: Tapping the Power of Music to Heal the Body, Strenghten the Mind, and Unlock the Creative Spirit. My friend Lavonne bought this for me, and when I finally meet her in June I am going to give her the biggest smack on the cheek (or knowing me, the lips) for it.
This book basically reinforces how I've always viewed music as an instrument (har har) for healing and references scientific studies and professionl anecdotes on how music is used to treat people, and in some cases, perform miracles. It also goes in to the basic physics of sound and how it can be used to heal, and branches off in to ancient civilizations and how they have affected music therapy as it is today.
It's confirmed my desire to be a music therapist. I never lost sight of any of that, but I have to admit, not getting in to DePaul has left me highly discouraged, still. I don't doubt my abilities as a musician and a healer, but I still worry about auditions that are two-three years away. However, I do feel this is my calling, more so than performing, more so than social work. This combines everything - my passion for music, to perform, and my wanting to heal and make the world a better place, and I can still be a super nerd and do research and maybe one day be blessed enough to teach at a university and inspire other students and do my own studies and not have to settle for being an RA - as much as I like that, I want to be Dr. Karina Frost, Ph.D, bitches!
I can hardly read more than a page of this book without having to put it down, take notes, and get all super hyper excited because it just makes so much sense to me. And it gives all these resources and organizations which trains in music therapy and vocal movement therapy. And tells me that there ARE Ph.D programs out there, and how, worse comes to worse, I can train at an institute and be a music therapy practitioner, even if I don't get in to grad school. And it lists all the schools all over the world I can study at, so of course I'm planning what foreign country to do my studies in next.
***
I don't understand why there isn't a lot of promotion in America for American youth to go out and explore the world. Maybe its propeganda to keeping Americans ignorant of what else is out there, that there might exist *gasp* something better. Every country I've been to (lots) and lived in (Canada and Germany and if you count those six weeks in France), there exists so many programs for youth to go and see the world. Most people don't get why I will go anywhere at the drop of a hat, while I'll more readily mount a plane than a penis, and ask me wtf my problem is and why I can't just stay in one place.
Because I've been given this gift, called a life, on an amazing planet that's acting as my home for the time being, and I want to go out and explore her and thank her for all she provides? Come on people. Now is the time to do it before I settle down and have a million babies.
woo.
0 comments:
Post a Comment