I'm starting the process of looking for my placement in India.



Description: Care


We have placements available in a number of care centers in Tamil Nadu and Kerala. Overall they cater to orphans, infants, and disabled children. In many cases, your day will begin early when the children need help getting ready for school. You might have the afternoon free or opt to help with other activities. For the younger children, there are often nurseries attached to the home where you can lend a hand. Or, you might even go with the children to school to help with their English lessons! When the older children come home at 4:30, you can help with their homework or organize games for them before dinner.


They arrange all your accomodations and transit while in India, and I am given two weeks off to vacation anywhere (hello Dubai). They don't pay for it but eh. Their program is about three months, which I think is what I need.

I am also looking at orphanage assistance in India (through World Endeavors):

Description: World Endeavors offers several enriching volunteer programs across India in both urban and rural areas. These projects provide a culturally-immersive experience while allowing volunteers to make a meaningful contribution to the Indian people. One of these projects allows volunteers to assist children in local orphanages.

Orphans are deprived of many opportunities necessary for their development. Through education and compassion, children are empowered to challenge a life of further poverty and exploitation. Volunteers provide basic daily care for the orphans and are also encouraged to actively participate in programs such as health education, games, drawing, and painting. With such a variety of ways to participate, the orphanage experience provides volunteers many meaningful ways to approach service.


http://www.volunteerabroad.com/listingsp3.cfm/listing/32494 <--- that sounds good too. Especially the whole community project development and management stuff, and I can even live with an Indian family and completely immerse myself in the culture. They say its two weeks in lenght but I can do long term too. Oh this one has me really fucking excited!

http://www.volunteerabroad.com/listingsp3.cfm/listing/35014

I'm looking at programs in South Africa and Peru as well.

Really, I just cant wait to travel and see the entire country once I'm in it.

***

Mom: What happened to Australia? Why do you keep researching countries where you can get yourself killed?!

Me: Because what's the fun in it otherwise?