1. What do you perceive to be the qualification of a guru?/
Someone who is knowledgable, honest, fair, and a good teacher - and all these qualities can be extremely subjective to each and every person who seeks a teacher.
2. What qualities appeal to you in a teacher?/
Someone who is honest, fair, knowledgable, understanding and patient. Also willing to challenge me and push me to be my best.
3. Do you feel the need for a spiritual guide or is it unnecessary for you on your spiritual path?/
I do feel the need to have some sort of guidance on my path, which is why I keep in contact with my teachers and come to them with questions should the need arise. Most of the time, I find the answers were within me the entire time, but it's nice to be able to go to someone and hear them voice what I'm thinking and validate how I feel.
4. Do you think you would benefit from a teacher who maintains a more traditional authoritarian role?/
Hell no! I know this through personal experience based on the voice teachers and music teachers I have gone through. I need someone who is willing to work with what I have and not try to make me into something that I am not. I always think a collaborative partnership is best (it's the social worker in me).
5. The traditional model of studentship in the Vedic system was a rite of passage for young males before they could enter the adult life. This marked a time where they could have a sound religious/spiritual orientation toward life before making practical choices. Whether they decided to continue on in a vocation dedicating their full life to spirituality was partly an individual choice. This type of rite of passage occured in most traditional societies. Do oyu feel it is missing from contemporary life?/
Well, it is definitely not in contemporary life, but as a woman, who wouldn't be able to do these sorts of passages, I say good riddance to it and thank God it is missing! I'd have not been able to study Yoga if it were in contemporary life!
6. Does accepting a guru appeal to you? Why or why not? Have you had any mentors or close personal teachers that have simulated the role of a traditional guru?
It's pretty common place in the music world, so yes. My first voice teacher I studied with for ten years. I didn't live with her or anything but she taught me so much of what I know about music and vocal technique. I would say my teachers/mentors in my life are my gurus, but not necessarily in the traditional sense.
In traditional contexts, the psychological distance between the guru and the disciple is greatly proportioned. Do you feel the traditional relations between guru and disciple applies cross culturally?/
I think it would be a bit of an adjustment to apply these cross culturally but it wouldn't be anything that can't be done. Personally, I wouldn't want a guru that felt he was an expert and I was the village idiot seeking knowledge. I would want someone that would work with me and be a guide, but at the same time allow me to have enough freedom to make mistakes and learn for myself.
0 comments:
Post a Comment